Normally, Json4s or Jackson+scala plugin work well for json to scala data
structure conversions. However, I would not expect they support a special
case for tuples, since JSON key-value fields would normally convert to case
classes and JSON arrays are converted to, well, arrays. That's being said,
StackOverflow to the rescue:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31909308/is-it-possible-to-parse-json-array-into-a-tuple-with-json4s

I didn't try the approach myself, though.