I'm not sure this is the right way to do it but we were exploring all the
possibilities and this one is the more obvious. We also spent some time to
study how to do it to achieve a better understanding of Flink's internals.

What we want to do though is to integrate Flink with another distributed
system that builds its own nodes and coordinates through the network with
its own logic. This software is H2O (a Machine Learning platform) and the
integration consists of two big tasks: the first is to instantiate a H2O's
node in every task manager and handle the lifecycle of the node according
to the taskmanager and the execution graph. The second is to allow the
developer to code everything inside Flink, converting from and to H2O's
data structures (distributed tabular data) and triggering the execution of
algorithms on H2O with a uniform API.

Here's a simple example (assuming that we will use the TableAPI):

val env = ExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment
val h2oEnv = H2OEnviroment.getEnvironment(env)

val myData: Table = ...
val someOtherData: Table = ...

val myH2OFrame = myData.select(...).toH2OFrame(h2oEnv)

val linearRegressionModel = h2oEnv.linearRegression(myH2OFrame)

val predictions:Table=linearRegressionModel(someOtherData)

predictions.select(...)

A good solution should allow the system to keep the H2O's nodes alive
through multiple tasks and the possibility to move the data locally from
Flink to H2O. The latter is not achieved in H2O's integration with Spark
but we still hope to do it.

That said, I'm still not sure if it is really required to implement a
custom runtime operator but given the complexity of the integration of two
distribute systems, we assumed that more control would allow more
flexibility and possibilities to achieve an ideal solution.