Hi Jordan,

the ./bin/flink client's run command has a -d / --detached flag for
detached execution.
However, this doesn't allow you to programatically control the running job.
What you probably have to do is using the RemoteEnvironment submitting the
job in a blocking way using a separate thread.
Then, another thread can monitor the application's progress (using the
jobmanager's REST APIs) or some custom monitoring.

I know that this is not very handy right now, and there are more arguments
for having a nice API for other features like metrics, accumulators, state
queries or data samples. But I think such features will be added to Flink
eventually.