Hi,

Regarding Shannon first point: I agree. We can improve the user experience
a lot, and documenting the behavior is the first step we should do here.
I see your points. I agree that we should use a separate thread for running
the main method and report better to the front end what's happening.

Re 2.: The main() method is executed on the Application Master / JobManager
/ Web Interface JVM, when submitting the job through the web interface.
When using the ./bin/flink tool, its executed there.
As Gordon said correctly, Flink doesn't pick up newly added partitions.
Leader changes are handled transparently since 1.0.0.

I hope that clarify things.