pdsh is available in head node only, but when I tried to do
*start-cluster *from head
node (note Job manager node is not head node) it didn't work, which is why
I modified the scripts.

Yes, exactly, this is what I was trying to do. My research area has been on
these NUMA related issues and binding a process to a socket (CPU) and then
its thread to individual cores have shown great advantage. I actually have
Java code that automatically (user configurable as well) bind processes and
threads. For Flink, I've manually done this using  shell script that scans
TMs in a node and pin them appropriately. This approach is OK, but it's
better if the support is integrated to Flink.