The connector doesn't cover this use case. Through the API you need to
use the IndicesAdminClient:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/java-api/current/java-admin-indices.html

Otherwise Elasticsearch creates an index with shards automatically. We
could add support for configuring shards in the future.