Yes, the back pressure behaviour you describe is correct. With
checkpointing enable, the job should resume as soon as the sink can
contact the backend service again (you would see that the job fails
many times until the service is live again, but at the end it should
work). You can control the restart behaviour via the restart
strategies
(https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/streaming/fault_tolerance.html).

For jobs that are in state RUNNING you can trigger savepoints
(https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/apis/streaming/savepoints.html).
This does not work for jobs in any other state (e.g.
finished/failed/cancelled etc.) yet, so it wouldn't work after your
job has thrown the Exception. Savepoints are triggered from the
outside of your application via the CLI. You might want to write a
script that triggers savepoints periodically and which monitors your
Flink job and backend service. If the Flink job fails, the script
would wait for the backend service to be live again and then re-submit
the job from the most recent savepoint. Maybe this helps as a work
around.

– Ufuk