Hi Buvana,

A TaskManager runs as a single JVM process. A TaskManager provides a
certain number of processing slots. Slots do not guard CPU time, IO, or JVM
memory. At the moment they only isolate managed memory which is only used
for batch processing. For streaming applications their only purpose is to
limit the number of parallel threads that can be executed by a TaskManager.

In each processing slot, a full slice of a program can be executed, i.e.,
one parallel subtask of each operator of a program. Given a simple program
(source -> map -> sink), a slot can process one subtask of the source, the
mapper, and the sink (it is possible to split a program to be executed in
more slots). Each operator can be executed as a separate thread. However,
in many situations, operators are chained within the same thread to improve
performance (again it is possible to disallow chaining).

Let me know if you have more questions,
Fabian