Hi,

Let me know if you come across any issues with approach #2.

Predicting release dates is always hard. I would say we are in the middle
of the development cycle. I can imagine that we have 1.2 released by the
end of this year.
There is no tool that shows the progress, but I've started a Wiki page
recently, tracking which features are probably into which release:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Release+and+Feature+Plan
and by tracking those features (via JIRA, pull requests, discussions on the
dev@ list), you can estimate the progress.

Regards,
Robert