Hello all,

I was preparing an exercise for some Master students and I went through
running the Java
quickstart setup [1] again to verify everything works as expected.

I ran into a problem when running from within IDEA, we've encountered this
in the past during trainings.

While the quickstart guide indicates that you should be able to just run
the examples
from the Maven archetype that was not the case for me, what I got instead
was
ClassNotFound exceptions because the default run configuration does not
pull in
the dependencies as it should.

What I needed to do to get the examples to run from within the IDE was:

1) In project structure, add a new module say "mainRunner"
2) In mainRunner's dependencies add the main module (say "quickstart") as a
module depency.
3) In mainRunner's dependencies add the rest of the project library
dependencies.
4) In the run configuration for the example change the "Use claspath of
module" to mainRunner from quickstart.

If this is a problem other people have ran into (as evidenced by [2] [3]) I
think we should either include the instructions in the docs, or if possible
change the Java quickstart archetype to include the extra module.
The Scala quickstart has the mainRunner module already, and the appropriate
instructions
on how to run from within IDEA are in the docs.

I saw there's a PR [4] for the quickstart already, we could include this
there.

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/quickstart/java_api_quickstart.html
[2]