Hi Steven,

As Robert said some of our jobs have state sizes around a TB or more. We
use the RocksDB state backend with some configs tuned to perform well on
SSDs (you can get some tips here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvUqbIeoPzM).

We checkpoint our state to Ceph (similar to HDFS but this is what we have
:)), and it takes 15-25 minutes for the larger jobs to perform the
checkpoints/restore. As this runs async in the background it doesnt hurt
our runtime performance, the only problems are with the strain on the
network sometimes especially when many jobs are restored at the same time.

Incremental checkpoints would definitely be crazy useful in our case as
only a very small percentage of our state is updated between snapshots but
it is still feasible as it is for now.

Let me know if I can help with any details.

Cheers,
Gyula

Robert Metzger <rmetz...@apache.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2016. nov. 19.,
Szo, 13:16):