Thanks Kostas. So if we're comfortable treating timestamps as longs (and
doing conversions to human readable time at our application level), we can
use CEP, ML lib etc. in addition to all basic Flink functions? That's great
news?

To Matthias's point, *why then does the following not read "**Both
timestamps and watermarks are specified as longs"?* Before I go headlong
into developing on Flink, I just want to be sure I'm covered here. Again,
thanks. (The Youtube videos from FlinkForward are also great, btw.
Incredibly impressed with Data Artisans.)

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/apis/streaming/
event_timestamps_watermarks.html#assigning-timestamps

"Both timestamps and watermarks are specified as milliseconds since the Java
epoch of 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z."