Hi!

Are your customers using YARN? In that case, the default configuration will
start a new YARN application per Flink job, no JVMs are shared between
jobs. By default, even each slot has its own JVM.

Greetings,
Stephan

PS: I think the "spawning new JVMs" is what Till referred to when saying
"spinning up a new cluster". Keep in mind that Flink is also a batch
processor, and it handles sequences of short batch jobs (as issued for
example by interactive shells) and it pre-allocates and manages a lot of
memory for batch jobs.