Hi Lawrence,

comparison of binary data are mainly used by the DataSet API when sorting
large data sets or building and probing hash tables.

The DataStream API mainly benefits from Flink's custom and efficient
serialization when sending data over the wire or taking checkpoints.
There are also plans to implement a state backend based on the
serialization stack which leverages Flink's managed memory instead of
holding object on the heap (the RocksDB state backend is the current
solution to avoid this).

>From what I know, the DataStream API does not perform compare on serialized
data.

Best, Fabian