Hi Aljoscha,

Thanks.

Yes, we are using Event Time.
Yes, Flink program is kept running in the IDE, i.e. eclipse and not closed,
after the first batch of events and when adding the second batch.
Yes, We do have acustom timestamp/watermark assigner, implemented as
BoundedOutOfOrdernessGenerator2

Are we using the properties for Kafka correctly?
We are using Flink 1.1.1 and Flink Kafka connector:
flink-connector-kafka-0.9_2.11

More about the behavior:
I have noticed that sometimes even after the first writing to the Kafka
queue,  and when the Flink program runs, sometimes it does process the
queue immediately. We need to restart. This is quite random.

Following is the rough outline of our code.

public class SlidingWindow2{

// set up the execution environment
StreamExecutionEnvironment env = StreamExecutionEnvironment.get
ExecutionEnvironment();

env.setStreamTimeCharacteristic(TimeCharacteristic.EventTime);

// configure the Kafka consumer
Properties kafkaProps = new Properties();
kafkaProps.setProperty("zookeeper.connect", "localhost:2181");
kafkaProps.setProperty("bootstrap.servers", "localhost:9092");
kafkaProps.setProperty("group.id", "demo");
// always read the Kafka topic from the start
kafkaProps.setProperty("auto.offset.reset" ,"earliest");

                FlinkKafkaConsumer09<Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float,
String>> consumer = new FlinkKafkaConsumer09<>(
"test",            // kafka topic name
new dataSchema(),
kafkaProps);
                DataStream<Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float, String>>
stream1 = env.addSource(consumer);
                DataStream<Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float, String>>
keyedStream = stream1.assignTimestampsAndWatermarks(new
BoundedOutOfOrdernessGenerator2());

                keyedStream.keyBy(4)
.window(SlidingEventTimeWindows.of(Time.minutes(6), Time.minutes(2)))
.apply(new CustomSlidingWindowFunction());

                env.execute("Sliding Event Time Window Processing");

           }
}

public static class CustomSlidingWindowFunction implements
WindowFunction<Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float, String>, Tuple5<String,
String, Float, Float, String>, Tuple, TimeWindow>{

@Override
public void apply(Tuple key, TimeWindow window, Iterable<Tuple5<String,
String, Float, Float, String>> input,
Collector<Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float, String>> out) throws
Exception {

        }

// Implemented custom Periodic Watermark as below from public static class
BoundedOutOfOrdernessGenerator2 implements
AssignerWithPeriodicWatermarks<Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float,
String>> { /** * */ private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
private final long maxOutOfOrderness = MAX_EVENT_DELAY; // constant set in
seconds private long currentMaxTimestamp; @Override public long
extractTimestamp(Tuple5<String, String, Float, Float, String> element, long
previousElementTimestamp) { //System.out.println("inside
extractTimestamp"); Date parseDate = null; SimpleDateFormat dateFormat =
new SimpleDateFormat("dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm:ss"); try { parseDate =
dateFormat.parse(element.f0); } catch (ParseException e) {
e.printStackTrace(); } long timestamp = parseDate.getTime();
currentMaxTimestamp = Math.max(timestamp, currentMaxTimestamp); return
timestamp; } @Override public Watermark getCurrentWatermark() { // return
the watermark as twice the current highest timestamp minus the
out-of-orderness bound // this is because it is not covering the lateness
sufficiently; now it does // in future this may be multiple of 3 or more if
necessary to cover the gap in records received return new
Watermark(currentMaxTimestamp * 2 - maxOutOfOrderness); } }

*Sujit Sakre*

--
This email is sent on behalf of Northgate Public Services (UK) Limited and
its associated companies including Rave Technologies (India) Pvt Limited
(together "Northgate Public Services") and is strictly confidential and
intended solely for the addressee(s).
If you are not the intended recipient of this email you must: (i) not
disclose, copy or distribute its contents to any other person nor use its
contents in any way or you may be acting unlawfully;  (ii) contact
Northgate Public Services immediately on +44(0)1908 264500 quoting the name