Hi Dominik,
     As I know, the JobManager would detect the failure of TaskManager by akka
watch mechanism. It is similar with heartbeat or ping way in network stack.You
can refer to this link
"https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Akka+and+Actors";.
Futhermore, the upstream and downstream task related with the failed
TaskManagerwould also be aware of the network inactive and resulting in task
failure. And the failed task state will be notified to JobManager and trigger
restarting the job and restoring the state.
    As you said, the CheckpointCoordinator component in JobManager is in charge
of recovering state from complete checkpoint, and the state would be set onto
Execution in ExecutionGraph.
Best,
Zhijiang
For yarn cluster mode,
------------------------------------------------------------------发件人:Dominik
Safaric <dominiksafa...@gmail.com>发送时间:2017年2月22日(星期三) 19:05收件人:user
<user@flink.apache.org>主 题:TaskManager failure detection
Hi,

As I’m investigating onto Flink’s fault tolerance capabilities, I would like to
know what component and class is in charge of TaskManager failure detection and
checkpoint restoring? In addition, how does Flink actually determine that a
TaskManager has failed due to e.g. hardware failures?

Up to my knowledge, the state should be restored using the
CheckpointCoordinator or ExecutionGraph. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Dominik