Hi,

Forgive me if parts of this question have been answered before but I'd like
help in resolving some bits of confusion from the documentation and the fact
that I haven't been able to find a good example anywhere for an
enterprise-style setup.  If anyone has a sample HA / Yarn / ZK / RocksDB
configuration could you share?

We are currently using Flink 1.2.0 and Hortonworks (an older version, 2.2.9
based on Hadoop 2.6.0).  We're trying a small sample cluster with 9 Yarn client
nodes.

1.       We have large state and large time-windows and therefore want to use
RocksDB as our state backend.  Is it a typical or best practice that RocksDB
store to local-disk storage for speed, and the checkpoints store to HDFS for
recovery / HA?  Or is everything in HDFS?  So from my understanding from the
docs, "The RocksDBStateBackend holds in-flight data in a
RocksDB<http://rocksdb.org/> data base that is (per default) stored in the
TaskManager data directories"...  (is this set automatic via YARN?)... and the
checkpoint directory is via "state.backend.fs.checkpointdir:
hdfs://namenode:40010/flink/checkpoints" or dynamically e.g. new
RocksDBStateBackend(statepath).

2.       It's unclear to me whether Yarn automatically provides Flink with the
Zookeeper information, or whether I also need to set the zookeeper info in
flink-conf.yaml... the examples seem to imply that the ZK information might
only be used if you start your own Zookeeper rather than it already existing.
Do I need to set it up for HA via YARN?

3.       I've seen some conflicting information about including
HADOOP_CLASSPATH - some say there are many conflicts with Flink libraries
whereas others say it's important to resolve various deserialization errors
during runtime.

4.       Someone suggested that we build Flink from source ourselves against
the Hortonworks distribution; I'm really hoping that's not necessary.

Appreciate any info as we learn how to productionize our Flink clusters!

Best Regards
Dave