Hi Chet,
the following thins may create the error you mentioned:
* the job ID of the query must match the ID of the running job
* the job is not running anymore
* the queryableStateName does not match the string given to
setQueryable("query-name")
* the queried key does not exist (note that you need to give its hash(!) in
the getKvState() method)
* something is wrong with the keyAndNamespace serialization - the following in
Java:
final byte[] serializedKey =
        KvStateRequestSerializer.serializeKeyAndNamespace(
                key, keySerializer,
                VoidNamespace.INSTANCE, VoidNamespaceSerializer.INSTANCE);

I have only tested the Java API though which you could try for reference.

Regards
Nico