There's always a tradeoff we need to make. I'm in favor of upgrading to
Java 8 to bring in all new Java features.

The common way I've seen (and I agree) other software upgrading major
things like this is 1) upgrade for next big release without backward
compatibility and notify everyone 2) maintain and patch current, old-tech
compatible version at a reasonably limited scope. Building backward
compatibility is too much for an open sourced project