Hi,
the reasoning behind the limited user facing API was that we were (are) not
sure whether we would be able to support efficient deletion of timers for
different ways of storing timers.

@Stephan, If I remember correctly you were the strongest advocate for not
allowing timer deletion. What’s your thinking on this? There was also a quick
discussion on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3089
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3089> where Xiaogang explained
that the (new, not merged) RocksDB based timers would have efficient timer
deletion.

Best,
Aljoscha