Here are some pointers

  - You would rather need MORE managed memory, not less, because the sorter
uses that.

  - We added the "large record handler" to the sorter for exactly these use
cases. Can you check in the code whether it is enabled? You'll have to go
through a bit of the code to see that. It is an older Flink version, I am
not quite sure any more how exactly it was there.

Stephan