Hi,

These two documentation pages might be interesting:
 -
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/concepts/runtime.html

<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/concepts/runtime.html>
 -
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/datastream_api.html#task-chaining-and-resource-groups

<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/datastream_api.html#task-chaining-and-resource-groups>

Flink will chain operations together whenever this is possible and the basic
prerequisites for this are: the parallelism is the same and the connection
pattern is “forwarding”, i.e. there is no broadcast, shuffle, or custom
partitioning scheme.

Best,
Aljoscha