A quick note on this: the side-input API is still ongoing work and it turns out
it’s more complicated (obviously … 😳) and we will need quite a bit more work on
other parts of Flink before we can provide a good built-in solution.

In the meantime, you can check out the Async I/O operator [1]. I think this
fits your use case of accessing an external system quite well because it allows
firing off several request to external systems at the same time.

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/stream/asyncio.html