Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make use of the new Elasticsearch Connector
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/connectors/elasticsearch.html>.
I got a version running locally (with ssh tunnels to my Elasticsearch
cluster in AWS) in my IDE, I see the data in Elasticsearch written
perfectly, as I want it. As soon as I try to run this on our dev cluster
(Flink 1.3.0, running in the same VPC like ) though, i get the following
error message (in the sink):

java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: LUCENE_5_5_0
at org.elasticsearch.Version.<clinit>(Version.java:295)
at
org.elasticsearch.client.transport.TransportClient$Builder.build(TransportClient.java:129)
at
org.apache.flink.streaming.connectors.elasticsearch2.Elasticsearch2ApiCallBridge.createClient(Elasticsearch2ApiCallBridge.java:65)
at
org.apache.flink.streaming.connectors.elasticsearch.ElasticsearchSinkBase.open(ElasticsearchSinkBase.java:272)
at
org.apache.flink.api.common.functions.util.FunctionUtils.openFunction(FunctionUtils.java:36)
at
org.apache.flink.streaming.api.operators.AbstractUdfStreamOperator.open(AbstractUdfStreamOperator.java:111)
at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.openAllOperators(StreamTask.java:375)
at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.invoke(StreamTask.java:252)
at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task.run(Task.java:702)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

I first thought that this has something to do with mismatched versions, but
it happens to me with Elasticsearch 2.2.2 (bundled with Lucene 5.4.1) and
Elasticsearch 2.3 (bundled with Lucene 5.5.0).

Can someone point to what exact version conflict is happening here (or
where to investigate further)? Currently my set up looks like everything is
actually running with Lucene 5.5.0, so I'm wondering where that error
message is exactly coming from. And also why it is running locally, but not
in the cluster. I'm still investigating if this is a general connection
issue from the Flink cluster to the ES cluster, but that would be
surprising, and also that error message would be then misleading ....

Cheers
Fabian

--
*Fabian Wollert*
*Senior Data Engineer*

*POSTAL ADDRESS*
*Zalando SE*
*11501 Berlin*

*OFFICE*
*Zalando SE*
*Charlottenstraße 4*
*10969 Berlin*
*Germany*

*Email: fabian.woll...@zalando.de <fabian.woll...@zalando.de>*
*Web: corporate.zalando.com <http://corporate.zalando.com>*
*Jobs: jobs.zalando.de <http://jobs.zalando.de>*

*Zalando SE, Tamara-Danz-Straße 1, 10243 Berlin*
*Company registration: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 158855 B*
*VAT registration number: DE 260543043*
*Management Board: Robert Gentz, David Schneider, Rubin Ritter*
*Chairperson of the Supervisory Board: Lothar Lanz*
*Registered office: Berlin*