One thing I really appreciate about HBase is its flexibility.  It doesn't
enforce a schema, but also doesn't prevent you from building a schema layer
on top.  It is very customizable, allowing you to push arbitrary code to
the server in the form of filters and coprocessors.

Not having such higher-layer features built into HBase allows it to remain
flexibile, but it does have a down-side.  One complaint is that for a new
user coming to HBase, who perhaps does want to work with things like query
languages, schemas, secondary indices, transactions, and so forth, it can
be daunting to research and understand what other projects in the HBase
ecosystem can help him/her, how others have used such projects, and under
what use cases each project might be successful or not.

Perhaps a good start would be something like an "HBase ecosystem" page at
the website that would list projects like Phoenix, Tephra, and others in
the HBase ecosystem.  The Apache TinkerPop site has a listing of projects
in its ecosystem at http://tinkerpop.apache.org.   I think new users coming
to HBase aren't even aware of the larger ecosystem, and sometimes end up
selecting alternative data stores as a result.

P.S.  I'm using HBase 1.1.2