Hi Bart,

I think you might be interested in the (admittedly short) section of the doc
about RichFunctions:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/api_concepts.html#rich-functions

<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/api_concepts.html#rich-functions>

If you make your user function a RichFunction you can implement the lifecycle
methods open() and close() that allow you to setup, for example, a database
connection that you wan't to reuse for the lifetime of your user function.

Best,
Aljoscha