Hi Tony,

Currently, the functionality that you described does not exist in the
consumer. When a topic is deleted, as far as I know, the consumer would
simply consider the partitions as unreachable and continue to try fetching
records from them until they are up again.
I'm not entirely sure if a removed topic is distinguishable from a
temporarily out-of-service partition due to Kafka brokers being down in the
Kafka API, may need to take a look.

As for the "workaround" that you are using at the moment, you can actually
use `KeyedDeserializationSchema#isEndOfStream` for that. When that returns
true and the source subtask closes, the Long.MAX_VALUE watermark will be
emitted.

Cheers,
Gordon