Hi Fabian,
thanks for the detailed answer. Obviously you are right :)
As stated by https://phoenix.apache.org/tuning.html auto-commit is disabled
by default in Phoenix, but it can be easily enabled just appending
AutoCommit=true to the connection URL or, equivalently, setting the proper
property in the conf object passed to the Phoenix
QueryUtil.getConnectionUrl method that autogenerate the connection URL,
i.e.:

----------------------
Job job = Job.getInstance(HBaseConfiguration.create(), "phoenix-mr-job");
jobConf.set(QueryServices.EXTRA_JDBC_ARGUMENTS_ATTRIB,
PhoenixRuntime.AUTO_COMMIT_ATTRIB + "=true");
final Properties phoenixProps = PropertiesUtil.extractProperties(new
Properties(), jobConf);
String connUrl = QueryUtil.getConnectionUrl(phoenixProps, jobConf);
----------------------

Now my job works also with the standard Flink JDBCOutputformat.
Just to help other people willing to play with Phoenix and HBase I paste
below my simple test job:

@Test
  public void testPhoenixOutputFormat() throws Exception {

    final StreamExecutionEnvironment senv = getStreamingExecutionEnv();
    senv.enableCheckpointing(5000);
    DataStream<String> testStream = senv.fromElements("1,aaa,XXX",
"2,bbb,YYY", "3,ccc,ZZZ");

    // Set the target Phoenix table and the columns
    DataStream<Row> rows = testStream.map(new MapFunction<String, Row>() {

      @Override
      public Row map(String str) throws Exception {
        String[] split = str.split(Pattern.quote(","));
        Row ret = new Row(3);
        ret.setField(0, split[0]);
        ret.setField(1, split[1]);
        ret.setField(2, split[2]);
        return ret;
      }
    }).returns(new
RowTypeInfo(BasicTypeInfo.STRING_TYPE_INFO,BasicTypeInfo.STRING_TYPE_INFO,BasicTypeInfo.STRING_TYPE_INFO));

    Job job = Job.getInstance(HBaseConfiguration.create(),
"phoenix-mr-job");
    PhoenixMapReduceUtil.setOutput(job, "MY_TABLE",
"FIELD_1,FIELD2,FIELD_3");
    final org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration jobConf =
job.getConfiguration();
    jobConf.set(QueryServices.EXTRA_JDBC_ARGUMENTS_ATTRIB,
PhoenixRuntime.AUTO_COMMIT_ATTRIB + "=true");
    final String upsertStatement =
PhoenixConfigurationUtil.getUpsertStatement(jobConf);
    final Properties phoenixProps = PropertiesUtil.extractProperties(new
Properties(), jobConf);
    String connUrl = QueryUtil.getConnectionUrl(phoenixProps, jobConf);

    rows.writeUsingOutputFormat(JDBCOutputFormat.buildJDBCOutputFormat()

.setDrivername(org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver.class.getCanonicalName())
        .setDBUrl(connUrl)
        .setQuery(upsertStatement)
        .setSqlTypes(new int[]{Types.VARCHAR, Types.VARCHAR, Types.VARCHAR})
        .finish());

    senv.execute();
  }

Best,