The only nodes that matter are those on which the Flink processes, i.e Job- and TaskManagers <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/concepts/runtime.html#job-managers-task-managers-clients>, are being run.

To prevent a JobManager node failure from causing the job to fail you have to look into an HA setup <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/ops/jobmanager_high_availability.html>.
(The jobmanager is responsible for distributing/coordinating work)

In case of a TaskManager node failure the job will fail and restart <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/dev/restart_strategies.html>, provided that enough TaskManagers are
still alive to satisfy the resource requirements of the job.

Can you elaborate a bit more what happened when you used the --detached param?