I thought it might be a CA certificates issue, but it looks like
openjdk:8-jre-alpine includes the proper certificates.

You could just this just to make sure: exec into the container and run curl
-v https://s3.amazonaws.com. You may have to run apk add --no-cache curl
first.

Apart from that, a search for "javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException
aws" yielded a number of results—have you checked those out?

--
Patrick Lucas