Hi,

Yes as you correctly analysed parallelism 1 was causing problems, because it
meant that all of the records must been gathered over the network from all of
the task managers. Keep in mind that even if you increase parallelism to ā€œpā€,
every change in parallelism can slow down your application, because events will
have to be redistributed, which in most cases means network transfers.

For measuring throughput you could use already defined metrics in Flink:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/monitoring/metrics.html

<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/monitoring/metrics.html>

You can get list of vertices of your job:
http://<web-ui-url>:8081/jobs/<job-id>/vertices
<http://<web-ui-url>:8081/jobs/%3Cjob-id%3E/vertices>
Then statistics:
http://<web-ui-url>:8081/jobs/<job-id>/vertices/<vertex-id>/metrics