Hi Robert,

Running a single job does not mean that you are limited to a single JVM.

For example, a job with parallelism 4 by default requires 4 task slots to
run.
You can provision 4 single slot TaskMangers on different hosts to connect
to the
same JobManager. The JobManager can then take your job and distribute the
execution on the 4 slots. To learn more about the distributed runtime
environment:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/concepts/runtime.html

Regarding your concerns about job failures, a failure in the JobManager or
one
of the TaskManagers can bring your job down but Flink has built-in
fault-tolerance on different levels. You may want to read up on the
following
topics:

- Data Streaming Fault Tolerance:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/internals/stream_checkpointing.html