Gordon, thanks for clarifying this!
For my experimental project I decided to disable checkpointing and use
kafkaConsumer.setStartFromGroupOffsets() (explicitly, although docs state it is
the default).

I verified with kafka-consumer-offset-checker.sh that, after the job fails and
is restarted,
it will skip the offsets it was at the time of failure and continue with the
newer kafka records.
This suits me as another process will go after the left-behind records and try
to recover what it can

Best regards
-Robert

 startup from offsets in Kafka