Hi Steven,
by default, checkpoints time out after 10 minutes if you haven't used
CheckpointConfig#setCheckpointTimeout() to change this timeout.

Depending on your checkpoint interval, and your number of concurrent
checkpoints, there may already be some other checkpoint processes
running while you are waiting for the first to finish. In that case,
succeeding checkpoints may also fail with a timeout. However, they
should definitely get back to normal once your sink has caught up with
all buffered events.

I included Stefan who may shed some more light onto it, but maybe you
can help us identifying the problem by providing logs at DEBUG level
(did akka report any connection loss and gated actors? or maybe some
other error in there?) or even a minimal program to reproduce.

Nico