Hi,

TriggerContext.getWaterMark() returns the current watermark (i.e.,
event-time) of the window operator.
An operator tracks for each of its inputs the maximum received watermark
and computes its own watermark as the minimum of all these maximums.
Until an operator has not received watermarks from all its inputs, its own
watermark will be Long.MIN_VALUE.

So, the watermark can indeed be used as an indicator for time progress but
until it hasn't received wms from all inputs it's not initialized yet.

Hope this helps.

Best, Fabian