Hi,
without knowing Gelly here, maybe it has to do something with cleaning
up the allocated memory as mentioned in [1]:

taskmanager.memory.preallocate: Can be either of true or false.
Specifies whether task managers should allocate all managed memory when
starting up. (DEFAULT: false). When taskmanager.memory.off-heap is set
to true, then it is advised that this configuration is also set to true.
If this configuration is set to false cleaning up of the allocated
offheap memory happens only when the configured JVM parameter
MaxDirectMemorySize is reached by triggering a full GC. Note: For
streaming setups, we highly recommend to set this value to false as the
core state backends currently do not use the managed memory.

Nico

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/ops/config.html#managed-memory