Can you clarify which one does not get deleted? The file in the
"high-availability.storageDir",
or the  "state.backend.fs.checkpointdir/JobId/check-<INTEGER>", or both?

Could you also tell us which file system you use?

There is a known issue in some versions of Flink that S3 "directories" are
not deleted. This means that Hadoop's S3 marker files (the way that
Hadoop's s3n and s3a  imitate directories in S3) are not deleted. This is
fixed in Flink 1.5. A workaround for Flink 1.4 is to use the
"flink-s3-fs-presto", which does not uses these marker files.