Hi Alex,

That's correct. The n refers to the n-th checkpoint. The checkpoint ID is
important, because operators need to align the barriers to ensure that they
consumed all inputs up to the point, where the barriers were injected into
the stream.
Each operator checkpoints its own state. For sources, this could be the
reading offset in a Kafka topic, or path and the byte offset in a file, etc.

Cheers, Fabian