Hi Juho,

You are right, there's no transactional guarantee on timers and state in
processElement(). They may end up with inconsistency if your job was
cancelled in the middle of processing an element.

To avoid the situation, the best programming practice is to always check if
the state you're trying to get is null or not.

I've also created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-9362 to
document this.

Thanks
Bowen