What function are you implementing and how are you using it?

Usually it’s enough if your function implements RichFunction (or rather extend
from AbstractRichFunction) and then you could use RichFunction#open in the
similar manner as in the code that I posted in previous message. Flink in many
places performs instanceof chekcs like:
org.apache.flink.api.common.functions.util.FunctionUtils#openFunction

public static void openFunction(Function function, Configuration parameters)
throws Exception{
   if (function instanceof RichFunction) {
      RichFunction richFunction = (RichFunction) function;
      richFunction.open(parameters);
   }
}

Piotrek