Hi,

Thanks for creating the Jira issue.
I'm not sure if I would consider this a blocker but it is certainly an
important problem to fix.

Anyway, in the original version Flink checkpoints the modification
timestamp up to which all files have been read (or at least up to which
point it *thinks* to have everything processed in case of S3).
In case of a recovery, the timestamp is reset to the checkpointed value and
all files with a larger mod timestamp are processed again. This reset of
the read position together with resetting the state of all operators
results in exactly-once state consistency.

In order to avoid that the data of files is added twice to the state of an
operator, an the monitoring sink must ensure that it does not read data
again that was processed before the checkpoint was committed.
So, if you add an offset to the mod timestamp and track processed files
with a ts larger than the checkpointed mod timestamp by file name, these
names must be included in the checkpoint as well.

Best, Fabian