You can find more information about the re-worked deployment model here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=65147077

TaskManagers are started and shut down according to the slot requirements of
the jobs. It is possible to return to the old behavior by setting

    mode: old

in flink-conf.yaml. However, this mode is deprecated and will be removed
soon.
Can you explain why you need to have a static set of TMs?