Hey guys,

We are trying to add external monitoring to our system, but we can only get
the lag in kafka topics while the Flink job is running -- if, for some
reason, the Flink job fails, we get no visibility on how big the lag is.

(Besides that, the way Flink reports is not accurate and produces a lot of
-Inf, which I already discussed before.)

While looking at the problem, we noticed that the FlinkKafkaConsumer never
uses `subscribe` to subscribe to the topics and that's why the values are
never stored back into Kafka, even when the driver itself does
`commitAsync`.

Is there any reason for not subscribing to topics that I may have missed?

--
*Julio Biason*, Sofware Engineer
*AZION*  |  Deliver. Accelerate. Protect.