Yes in many cases what we have faced that let's say in a keyed stream an
element of a specific key comes in which triggers a new window. If a
corresponding elements of the same key does not arrive a new watermark is
not generated for the window to purge. Then we faced issues with flink
keeping records in the window and not purging them at all. For this reason
we explicitly had to write some logic to generate a timestamp this is
greater than the currentTimestamp and then forcefully make the window purge
its elements.