Hi Henry,

since version 1.5 you don't need to specify the number of TaskManagers to
start, because the system will figure this out. Moreover, in version 1.5.x
and 1.6.x it is recommended to set the number of slots per TaskManager to 1
since we did not support multi task slot TaskManagers properly. The problem
was that we start for every incoming slot request a separate TaskManager
even though there might still be some free slots left. This has been fixed
by FLINK-9455 [1]. The fix will be released with the upcoming next major
Flink release 1.7.

Cheers,
Till