Hi Paul,

Yes correct, Flink shouldn’t make any assumptions on what is inside the user
function.

That is true, the exception may not be from a direct result of unexpected data,
but the incoming data coupled by the state of the job is causing unexpected
behaviour.  From my perspective, I wouldn’t want to defensively code my
function to the n-th degree, I would rather try to understand why my function
was failing (either due to the message I’m processing at the time, along with
the state of the function) and fix the issue that way.  Then I’d defensively
code the function as appropriate.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Scott

SCOTT SUE
CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER

Support Line : +44(0) 2031 371 603
Mobile : +852 9611 3969

9/F, 33 Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
www.celer-tech.com <http://www.celer-tech.com/>

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 15:04, Paul Lam <paullin3...@gmail.com> wrote:

_This message, including any attachments, may include private,
privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the
personal and confidential use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader
of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, use, dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this
message or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
are not an intended recipient or have received this communication in error,
please immediately notify the sender by telephone and/or a reply email and
permanently delete the original message, including any attachments, without
making a copy._