Zhijiang
发件人:Gagan Agrawal <agrawalga...@gmail.com>
发送时间:2018年11月24日(星期六) 14:14
收件人:user <user@flink.apache.org>
主 题:Flink job failing due to "Container is running beyond physical memory
limits" error.

Hi,
I am running flink job on yarn where it ran fine so far (4-5 days) and have now
started failing with following errors.

2018-11-24 03:46:21,029 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnResourceManager
            - Closing TaskExecutor connection
container_1542008917197_0038_01_000006 because: Container
[pid=18380,containerID=container_1542008917197_0038_01_000006] is running
beyond physical memory limits. Current usage: 3.0 GB of 3 GB physical memory
used; 5.0 GB of 15 GB virtual memory used. Killing container.

This is simple job where we are reading 2 Avro streams from Kafka and applying
some custom UDF after creating keyed stream from union on those 2 streams and
writing back output to Kafka. Udf internally uses Map State with RocksDB
backend. Currently size of checkpoint is around 300 GB and we are running this
with 10 task manager with 3 GB memory each. I have also set
"containerized.heap-cutoff-ratio: 0.5" but still facing same issue. Flink
version is 1.6.2

Here is the flink command
./bin/flink run -m yarn-cluster -yd -yn 10 -ytm 3072 -ys 4 job.jar

I want to understand what are typical reasons for this issue? Also why would
flink consume more memory than allocated as JVM memory is fixed and will not
grow beyond max heap. Can this be something related to RocksDB where it may be
consuming memory outside heap and hence over using defined limits? I didn't
find this issue when checkpoint size was small (<50 GB). But ever since we are
now at 300GB size, this issue is coming frequently. I can try increasing
memory, but I am still interested in knowing what are typical reasons for this
error if Jvm heap memory can not grow beyond defined limit.

Gagan