Hi Avi,

AFAIK Flink's Kafka consumer uses low level Kafka APIs and do not
participate in partition assignment protocol from Kafka, but it
discovers all available partitions for given topic and manages offsets
itself, what allows to provide exactly-once guarantees with regards to
Flink's internal state.

Flink's Kafka consumer uses the group.id to derive starting offsets for
partitions it can also commit back offsets to kafka for monitoring
purposes[1]. But as I said it does not participate in partition
assignment within a group, so it might happen that the same partition
will be read by multiple consumers with the same group.id.

I'm adding Gordon as a cc to correct me if I am wrong.

Best,

Dawid

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.7/dev/connectors/kafka.html#kafka-consumers-offset-committing-behaviour-configuration