Hi everyone,

I am getting NullPointerException when the job is creating checkpoints.
My configuration is: Flink 1.7.0 running on AWS EMR, using incremental
RockDBStateBackEnd on S3. Sinks are parquet files on S3 and ElasticSearch
(I'm not sure whether sinks are relevant to this error). There had been many
successful checkpoints before it started failing.

JobManager and TaskManagers' logs showed no issue.
Here below is the extract from the "Exception" tab in Flink GUI (I don't
know from where Flink GUI collected this):

java.lang.Exception: Could not perform checkpoint 29 for operator Merge
sourceA&sourceB (2/16).
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.triggerCheckpointOnBarrier(StreamTask.java:595)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.io.BarrierBuffer.notifyCheckpoint(BarrierBuffer.java:396)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.io.BarrierBuffer.processBarrier(BarrierBuffer.java:292)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.io.BarrierBuffer.getNextNonBlocked(BarrierBuffer.java:200)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.io.StreamTwoInputProcessor.processInput(StreamTwoInputProcessor.java:273)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.TwoInputStreamTask.run(TwoInputStreamTask.java:117)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.invoke(StreamTask.java:300)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.taskmanager.Task.run(Task.java:704)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Could not complete snapshot 29 for operator
Merge sourceA&sourceB  (2/16).
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.api.operators.AbstractStreamOperator.snapshotState(AbstractStreamOperator.java:422)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask$CheckpointingOperation.checkpointStreamOperator(StreamTask.java:1113)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask$CheckpointingOperation.executeCheckpointing(StreamTask.java:1055)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.checkpointState(StreamTask.java:729)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.performCheckpoint(StreamTask.java:641)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.runtime.tasks.StreamTask.triggerCheckpointOnBarrier(StreamTask.java:586)
        ... 8 more
        at
org.apache.flink.contrib.streaming.state.snapshot.RocksIncrementalSnapshotStrategy.snapshotMetaData(RocksIncrementalSnapshotStrategy.java:233)
        at
org.apache.flink.contrib.streaming.state.snapshot.RocksIncrementalSnapshotStrategy.doSnapshot(RocksIncrementalSnapshotStrategy.java:152)
        at
org.apache.flink.contrib.streaming.state.snapshot.RocksDBSnapshotStrategyBase.snapshot(RocksDBSnapshotStrategyBase.java:128)
        at
org.apache.flink.contrib.streaming.state.RocksDBKeyedStateBackend.snapshot(RocksDBKeyedStateBackend.java:496)
        at
org.apache.flink.streaming.api.operators.AbstractStreamOperator.snapshotState(AbstractStreamOperator.java:407)
        ... 13 more

Thanks and best regards,
Averell