Hi Patrick,

One approach, I would try, is to use Flink state and sync it with database
in initializeState and CheckpointListener.notifyCheckpointComplete.
Basically issue only idempotent updates to database but only when the last
checkpoint is securely taken and records before it are not processed again.
This has though a caveat that database might have stale data between
checkpoints.
Once the current state is synced with database, depending on your App, it
might be even cleared from Flink state.

I also cc Piotr and Kostas, maybe, they have more ideas.

Best,
Andrey